Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Car advice - emissions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Car advice - emissions Reply with quote

My car has just failed its MOT. Sad

Apparently the emissions are nearly 10 times what they should be for it. Shocked

Currently getting the lamda sensor and ecu checked out to see if either of them could be to blame, but I was just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions.

10x over seems a hell of a lot.

It's a T-reg (1999) 1.4 petrol Peugeot 306.

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:56 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My 155 failed on emissions last year was a bit worried so Keith drove I junction up the motorway in 3rd at 70 and straight to the test station for a retest. It was nice and hot and had all the crap blown out and passed (and it passed this year too).

On a old car we had once we put something called stop smoke in the oil, that worked we sold the car but It was still running ok a good while later.

This might be worth trying if you have been doing a fair pit of pootling.

Regards
C

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always a good idea to go for a good long drive before an MOT. If the engine is still running a bit cold when they do the test, the fuel mixture will be richer than normal and thus fail.

They are supposed to let the engine warm up to it's running temperature, but who knows.

The Lamba sensor/probe may just be dirty and making the engine run rich. Slosh some RedEx for FI engines in the tank and then go for a spin, should help.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

When we took the Camaro for it's MOT my Dad was bricking it, it had had the catalytic converters removed, and a 3 inch straight through dual exhaust on it. Fortunatly, being a 1980's large v8 it barely registered on the scale, causing them to check over their machine and it's calibration, only to discover that this old american v8 was running cleaner than any new car.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:40 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Lambda probes fail and the car then adjusts the mixture to based on the faulty readings (until it gets bad enough that it just says stuff it and ignores the lambda probe). 10x is not that bad, depending on whether that is CO or hydrocarbons. Limit for a non cat car was 3.5% CO and 1200ppm hydrocarbons (from memory), while a cat car is is something like 0.5% CO (and often a lot lower for different cars) and 50ppm hydrocarbons, so failing by a ten fold margin could still put it well within what would pass for a catalysed car.

By the way, thought your 306 was a diesel? If so does it even have a lambda probe, and any ECU is not likely to do much. Diesel pumps are horribly expensive though.

Mrs Kickstart wrote:
My 155 failed on emissions last year was a bit worried so Keith drove I junction up the motorway in 3rd at 70 and straight to the test station for a retest

A touch more than 70. On the red line in 3rd gear for a few miles Whistle .

All the best

Keith

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 18:53 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thrashed ol' smokey round for about 40 mins before I took it to its MOT in December... then MOT man didn't bother with an emissions test.

5 minute MOTs rule. Thumbs Up

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you've booked a nice meal at a posh restaurant for tomorrow Keith!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:57 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

Charlotte is 70 odd miles away during the week. I would be eating alone.

All the best

Keith

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Toby R wrote:

Charlotte is 70 odd miles away during the week. I would be eating alone.

All the best

Keith

Could split a Dominoes Smile

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:04 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one or other of us would get it free because delivery had taken too long.

All the best

Keith

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:08 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A touch more than 70. On the red line in 3rd gear for a few miles

Well it must have retrospective sympathy making me blur the event Smile

Quote:

nah tomorrow the food will be cold the service rubbish and bill inflated. In the same way as the flowers will look great until they warm up and you find they have been chilled for a up to 6 weeks and die really quickly and you pay a premium.

well that my romantic tendencies revealed Shocked

Regards
C

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs Kickstart wrote:
Quote:
A touch more than 70. On the red line in 3rd gear for a few miles

Well it must have retrospective sympathy making me blur the event Smile

Quote:

nah tomorrow the food will be cold the service rubbish and bill inflated. In the same way as the flowers will look great until they warm up and you find they have been chilled for a up to 6 weeks and die really quickly and you pay a premium.

well that my romantic tendencies revealed Shocked

Regards
C

I agree,

Unfortunately the missus doesn't.

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part of the emissions has it failed on ? Co, hydrocarbons or lambda? Cat cars are now tested using a bets test first (basic emissions test) with a limit on co of 0.200co, if it fails this you put further car details in such as engine number cc etc and the limit goes up to 0.300 co.

Most cars pass by this stage because they are hot enough. But quite often cars/cats take ages to warm up and some mot testers dont give them enough time if they are busy so just fail them....
Ive had a few peugeots where i had to sit there with the car at about 4 k for 10 mins just to get them warm.
Wink

If it really is bad, lamdba would be the first place i would look at. Only ever had one ecu cause emissions failure and that was due to being an import. Confused Perhaps get your emissions tested elsewhere ? Probably do it for a fiver, dont take long.

Quote:
When we took the Camaro for it's MOT my Dad was bricking it, it had had the catalytic converters removed, and a 3 inch straight through dual exhaust on it. Fortunatly, being a 1980's large v8 it barely registered on the scale, causing them to check over their machine and it's calibration, only to discover that this old american v8 was running cleaner than any new car.

Not very often you can say that for an old car! Very Happy If a car is pre 1976 the only emissions check required is "Does it emit dense blue or black smoke at idle?" Laughing Doesnt matter if its pumping out 20%co lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was registering under 10ppm... Probably something to do with running a huge dirty motor disguising air pump to dilute the immense amount of hydro carbons it pumps out Laughing

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 20:42 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

First rule of passing emission tests:
New oil, oil filter & air cleaner etc.

jok
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:35 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Car advice - emissions Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:
Apparently the emissions are nearly 10 times what they should be for it.

Sorry for the thread-jack, but... Does the same apply to bikes? I.e. can they fail for too high emissions (and has anyone had this happen to them (And if so, on what bike and do they know why)?).

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:39 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

No emissions tests on the MOT for bikes (yet).

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 120 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1